Dr LIM Chwee Teck (林水德)
Provost's Chair Professor
Department of Biomedical Engineering & Department of Mechanical Engineering
Principal Investigator, Mechanobiology Institute
Faculty Fellow, Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research & Technology (SMART)
National University of Singapore
9 Engineering Drive 1
Professor Lim currently holds joint appointments at both the Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at the National University of Singapore. He is also a Principal Investigator at the Mechanobiology Institute as well as a Faculty Fellow of the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research & Technology. He is founding member of the Department of Biomedical Engineering and the university’s Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Initiative. Prof Lim heads the Mechanobio-Engineering Lab which conducts basic and applied research in mechanobiology of human diseases such as malaria and cancer as well as development of microfluidic devices for the detection and diagnosis of such diseases.
Prof Lim has authored more than 310 peer-reviewed journal articles (including 50 invited/review articles), 26 book chapters and delivered more than 300 plenary/keynote/invited talks. He has also won several research awards and honours including the Asian Scientist 100 in 2016, Vladimir K. Zworykin Award 2015, University’s Outstanding Researcher Award 2014, Outstanding Innovator Award 2014, the Credit Suisse Technopreneur of the Year Award 2012, Wall Street Journal Asian Innovation Award (Gold) 2012, TechVenture Most Disruptive Innovation Award 2012, Asian Entrepreneurship Award (First Prize) 2012, HFSP Collaborative Research Grant Award 2012, TechVenture Rising Star Innovator Award 2011, President’s Technology Award 2011 and IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award 2010, 2016. He is currently editorial board member of 14 international journals. Prof Lim is an Elected Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering and an elected Council Member of the World Council for Biomechanics. He has co-founded 5 start-up companies that commercialize technologies developed in his lab. His research was cited by MIT Technology Review as one of the top ten emerging technologies of 2006 that will “have a significant impact on business, medicine or culture”.
BEng (First Class Honors), PhD (Cambridge)
Cell & molecular Biomechanics with a focus on human diseases
Microfluidic biochips for disease detection and diagnosis
Link: Google Scholar Scitation: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=sUh03wgAAAAJ&hl=en
1. Warkiani, M E, B L Khoo, L Wu, A Tay, A A S Bhagat, J Han, C T Lim, Ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells from blood using spiral microfluidics, Nature Protocols, 14, 1, 128-37, 2016.
2. Khoo, B L, G Grenci, T Y Jing, Y B Lim, S C Lee, J P Thiery, J Han, C T Lim, Liquid biopsy and therapeutic response: Circulating tumor cell cultures for evaluation of anticancer treatment. Science Advances, 2, 7, e1600274, 2016.
3. Yeo, J C, H K Yap, X Wang, Z Wang, C H Yeow*, C T Lim*, Flexible and stretchable strain sensing actuator for wearable soft robotics application, Advanced Materials Technologies, 1, 3, 2016.
4. Yeo, T, S J Tan, C L Chew, D P X Lau Xi, Y W Chua, S K Sai, I Gopal, G S Tan, T K H Lim, Daniel S W Tan, W T Lim, C T Lim, Microfluidic enrichment for the single cell analysis of circulating tumor cells, Scientific Reports, 6, 22076, 2016.
5. Wang, J, C-J Zhang, W N Chia, C C Y Loh, Z Li, Y M Lee, Y He, L-X Yuan, T K Lim, M Liu, C X Liew, Y Q Lee, J Zhang, N Lu, C T Lim, Z-C Hua, B Liu, H-M Shen, K S W Tan, Q S Lin, Haem-activated promiscuous targeting of artemisinin in Plasmodium falciparum, Nature Communications, 6, 10111, 2015.
6. Gupta, M, B R Sarangi, J Deschamps, Y Nematbakhsh, A Callan-Jones, F Margadant, R-M Mege, C T Lim, R Voituriez, B Ladoux, Adaptive rheology and ordering of cell cytoskeleton govern matrix rigidity sensing, Nature Communications, 6, 7525, 2015.
7.Vedula, S R K, G Peyret, I Cheddadi, T Chen, A Brugués, H Hirata, H Lopez-Menendez, Y Toyama, L Almeida, X Trepat, C T Lim*, B Ladoux*, Mechanics of epithelial closure over non-adherent environments, Nature Communications, 6, 6111, 2015.
8. Lee, W C, H Shi, Z Poon, L M Nyan, T Kaushik, G Shivashankar, J K Y Chan, C T Lim, J Han, K J Van Vliet, Multivariate biophysical markers predictive of mesenchymal stromal cell multi potency, PNAS, 111(42):E4409-18, 2014.
9. Yao, M, W Qiu, R Liu, A Efremov, P Cong, R Seddiki, M Payre, C T Lim, B Ladoux, R M Mège, J Yan, Force-dependent conformational switch of a-catenin controls vinculin binding, Nature Communications, 5, 4525, 2014.
10. Lim, C T, S B Hoon, Circulating tumor cells: Cancer's deadly couriers, Physics Today, 67, 2, 26-30, 2014.
11. Vedula, S.R.K., H. Hirata, M.H. Nai, A. Brugés, Y. Toyama, X. Trepat, C.T. Lim*, B. Ladoux*, Epithelial bridges maintain tissue integrity during collective cell migration, Nature Materials, 13, 87-96, 2014.
12. Hou H W, Warkiani M E, Khoo B L, Li Z R, Soo R A, Tan D S W, Lim W T, Han J Y, Bhagat A A S,
Lim C T, Isolation and retrieval of circulating tumor cells using centrifugal forces, Scientific Reports, 3, 1259, 2013.
13. Thiery, J P, C T Lim, Tumor dissemination: An EMT affair, Cancer Cell, 23, 3, 272-273, 2013.
14. Wang, Y T, S Y Chang, Y C Huang, T C Tsai, C M Chen, C T Lim, Nanomechanics insights into the performance of healthy and osteoporotic bones, Nano Letters, 13, 11, 5247-5254, 2013.
15. Vedula, S R K, M C Leong, T L Lai, P Hersen, A J Kabla, C T Lim*, B Ladoux* Emerging modes of collective cell migration induced by geometrical constraints, PNAS, 109, 32, 12974-12979, 2012. (F1000 recommended as being of special significance)
16. Wang, Y, C L Wong, K K Manga, P K Ang, J Lu, Y P Liu, C T Lim, K P Loh, Fluorinated Graphene for Promoting Neuro-Induction of Stem Cells, Advanced Materials, 31, 4285-4290, 2012. (selected for frontispiece)
17. Lee, W C, C H Y X Lim, H Shi, L A L Tang, Y Wang, C T Lim*, K P Loh*, The origin of enhanced stem cell growth and differentiation on graphene and graphene oxide, ACS Nano, 5, 9, 7334-7341, 2011.