Dr QUAN Chenggen
Block EA, #05-28,
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National University of Singapore
9 Engineering Drive 1
Dr C. Quan graduated in 1982 from Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), China, with a BEng degree in mechanical engineering. He received his MEng degree in optical engineering from HIT in 1988 and his PhD from Warwick University, United Kingdom, in 1992. Before joining National University of Singapore (NUS) he worked as a senior engineer at National Measurement Centre, Singapore Productivity and Standards Board. He is currently an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, NUS. His research interests include optical nondestructive testing, experimental mechanics, digital holography, optical image encryption and automatic fringe-pattern analysis. Dr. Quan has authored or co-authored over 160 international refereed journal papers.
PhD (Warwick Univ., UK), BEng MEng (Harbin IT, China)
EG1109M Statics and Mechanics of Materials
ME4211 Applied Mechanics
ME5103 Plates and Shells
ME5161 Optical Techniques in Experimental Stress Analysis
Applied Optics and Photonics: Optical measurement techniques, laser metrology, optical nondestructive testing, micro and nano photonics measurement.
Fringe Pattern Analysis and Image Processing: Digital holography, phase unwrapping, phase shifting interferometry, fast Fourier transform, wavelet transform, digital image correlation, optical image encryption.
1) Y. Wang, C. Quan, C. J. Tay, "An improved method of attack on an asymmetric cryptosystem based on phase-truncated Fourier transform", Applied Optics, Vol. 54, No. 22, 6874-6881, 2015.
2) Z. N. Chen, C. Quan, F. P. Zhu, X. Y. He, "A method to transfer speckle patterns for digital image correlation", Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 9, 095201, 2015.
3) Deepan B, C. Quan, Y. Wang, C. J. Tay, "Multiple-image encryption by space multiplexing based on compressive sensing and double random phase encoding technique", Applied Optics, Vol. 53, No. 20, 4539 – 4547, 2014.
4) Y. Wang, C. Quan, C. J. Tay, "Nonlinear multiple-image encryption based on mixture retrieval algorithm in Fresnel domain", Optics Communications, Vol. 330, 91-98, 2014.
5) T. I. Wong, H. Y. Ong, H. J. Lu, M. S. Tse, C. Quan, S. H. Ng, X. D. Zhou, "Wafer level silicon mould fabrication and imprinting of high density microstructures", Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 104, 64- 68, 2013.
6) S. Ma, C. Quan, R. Zhu, C. J. Tay, "Investigation of phase error correction for digital sinusoidal phase-shifting fringe projection profilometry", Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1107-1118, 2012.
7) S. Ma, R. Zhu, C. Quan, L. Chen, C. J. Tay, B. Li, "Flexible structured-light-based three-dimensional profile reconstruction method considering lens projection-imaging distortion", Applied Optics, Vol. 51, No. 13, 2419-2428, 2012.
8) C. Quan, W. Chen, C. J. Tay, "Numerical reconstruction in in-line digital holography by a translation of CCD position and gradient operator method", Optics Communications, Vol. 284, No. 12, 2767-2770, 2011.
9) C. Quan, W. Chen, C. J. Tay, "Phase retrieval techniques in fringe projection profileometry", Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 48, No. 2, 235-243, 2010.
10) C. Quan, H. T. Niu, C. J. Tay, "An improved windowed Fourier transform for fringe demodulation", Optics and Laser Technology, Vol. 42, No. 1, 126-131, 2010.
11) W. Chen, C. Quan, C. J. Tay, "Extended depth of focus for a particle field measurement with a single-shot digital hologram", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 95, 201103, 2009.
12) C. Quan, C. J. Tay, W. Chen, "Determination of displacement derivative in digital holographic interferometry", Optics Communications, Vol. 282, No. 5, 809-815, 2009.
13) C. Quan, C. J. Tay, W. Sun, X. Y. He, "Determination of 3D displacement using 2D digital image correlation", Applied Optics, Vol. 47 No. 4, 583-593, 2008.
14) W. Chen, C. Quan, C. J. Tay, "Measurement of curvature and twist of a deformed object using digital holography", Applied Optics, Vol. 47, No. 15, 2874-2881, 2008.
15) M. Li, C. Quan, C. J. Tay, "Continuous wavelet transform for micro-component profile measurement using vertical scanning interferometry", Optics and Laser Technology, Vol. 40, No. 7, 920-929, 2008.
16) C. Quan, Y Fu, C. J. Tay, "Vibration measurements by use of temporal wavelet transform", Measurement Science and Technology Vol. 18, 1718-1723, 2007.
17) C. Quan, C. J. Tay, L. Chen, "A study on carrier removal techniques in fringe projection profilometry", Optics and Laser Technology, Vol. 39, 1155-1161, 2007.
18) C. Quan, Y. Fu, H. Miao "Wavelet analysis of digital shearing speckle patterns with a temporal carrier", Optics Communications, Vol. 260, No. 1, 97-104, 2006.
19) C. Quan, H. Miao, Y. Fu, "Surface contouring by optical edge projection method based on continuous wavelet transform", Applied Optics, Vol 45, No. 20, 4815-4820, 2006.
20) L. J. Chen, C. Quan, "Fringe projection profilometry with non-parallel illumination: a least square approach", Optics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 16, 2101-2103, 2005.