Dr LEE Heow Pueh
National University of Singapore
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Heow Pueh LEE is currently the Deputy Head (Research) for the Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore. He graduated with first class honours from Cambridge University. He did his full time National Service at the Traffic Police Department and was awarded the Commissioner of Police High Commendation for his contribution. He obtained his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University. He was seconded to the Institute of High Performance Computing (IHPC) under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) in 2002, initially as the Deputy Director for Research and subsequently assumed the role of Deputy Executive Director for research since 2003 till the end of his full-time secondment in 2007. His early works focused on the mechanics of robotic manipulators, mechanism designs, as well as the vibration of structural elements and the mechanics of ultrasonic motors. Notable contributions include the application of “Structural Intensity” for the vibration study to various aspects of engineering disciplines from fracture mechanics to biomechanics. His more recent works focus on mechanics in medicine, mechanics of biofouling and acoustics. He has more than 300 publications in peer review journals. He has several ongoing projects related to noise and vibration in particular the mitigation of traffic and construction noise.
Citation indices All: 7836; Since 2010: 5063; h-index all: 45; since 2010: 33.
Web of Science
Total Articles in Publication List: 303; Articles With Citation Data: 303; Sum of the Times Cited: 4188; Average Citations per Article: 13.82 ; h-index: 32
Document: 330, h-Index: 35; Citation: 5183l Average Citation per Article: 15.71.
Recent awards (Scientific awards)
1. A Paper that he co-authored and presented by his PhD student Kyrin Liong entitled “Dynamic movement of the median nerve and its relation to carpal tunnel syndrome at the 21st Joint Singapore-Malaysia-Finland-Estonia- Latvia, Hand Surgery Societies Meeting, National University Hospital, Singapore, 28 February – 2 March 2013 won the First Place for Oral Presentation at the Free Paper Session.
2. He was awarded the outstanding contribution to reviewing by the Journal of Applied Acoustics in 2013.
3. A Paper that he co-authored presented by his PhD student Tse Kwong Ming entitled “Ballistic Impacts of a Full-Metal Jacketed (FMJ) Bullet on a Validated Finite Element (FE) Model of Helmet-Cushion-Head” won the ICCM 2014 best paper award. The conference was held at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge from 28-30 July, 2014.
4. Invited speaker for the Association of Sports Medicine Annual Symposium at TTSH in February 2015. The title of the talk is “Bigger the player, harder the hit, the G forces behind the concussion.”
5. Invited speaker for Euronoise 2015 at Maastrich, Netherland. The title of the talk is “The Sonic Window Project - Meeting the Trio Challenges of Providing Natural Ventilation, Daylight and Noise Mitigation “
6. Invited speaker for lunchtime talk at Ministry of Health, 29 July 2015, the title of the talk is “Research Findings on Prolonged Use of Facemasks”.
7. Invited speaker for a technical talk at DSO National Laboratory, 24 July 2015, the title of the talk is “Potentials of Acoustic Research for Military applications”.
New and ongoing projects
1. PI, The Sonic Structure Project - meeting the trio challenges of providing natural ventilation, daylight and noise mitigation.
2. PI, Mitigation of Noise from Construction Sites Based on Sonic Cage and Innovative Noise Barrier Designs.
3. PI, Dynamic profiling of locomotion of marine creatures - Design of biomimetic underwater robots.
4. PI, Technology Development for Suppliers Development Initiative: Natural Fibre.
5. PI, Vibroacoustics Analysis in Armoured Vehicle using Scaling Technique and Structural Intensity Approach.
6. Co-PI, The Nazcaline Project
7. Co-PI, Centre for Composite Engineering and Research
8. Co-PI, A high throughput functionalized moving surface for continuous heavy metal ion extraction from waste streams
9. Co-PI, Mitigating Impact for Fall Protection of Elderly.
10. Co-PI, Project GWAIHIR.
11. Co-PI, Joint lab on natural fibre composite with Simtech.
12. PI, Development of an Anthropometric Database Representing the Singapore Population. 13. PI, Development of Membrane-less Technology for the Removal of Microalgae from lakes and Ponds.
14. Co-PI, Bubbly Ultrasonic Flow: An Adjunct in the Treatment of Gastrointestinal Bleeding.
15. PI, Objective assessment of facial deformity for surgical applications.
16. Co-PI, Rapid Detection of Food Borne Pathogens via Microfluidic Platform.
17. Co-PI, Ducted Fan for Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). 18. Co-PI, Analysis of Composite Damage and Repair.
19. Co-PI, Design and Construction of a Low-noise Wind Tunnel.
20. Co-PI, Analysis of buried pipes subjected to shock and impact Loads
21. Co-PI, Project Shimo.
22. Co-PI, Facial Expression Using Dielectric Elastomer Artificial Muscles.
23. Co-PI, Stack and Spacer Design Development for Reverse Electrodialysis.
1. Co-PI, A new endoluminal device for duodenal exclusion in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitis and obesity.
2. PI, Assessment of Nasal Patency via multiphysics simulations – from Physics to Medicine.
3. PI, Exploratory study of the Impact of climate change on mucociliary functions as the first line of defence against air-borne infectious diseases.
4. Co-PI, Assessment and improvement of flow pattern and chlorine concentration in service reservoirs.
5. Co-PI, A Safe and Effective Endoluminal Anchor and Delivery System for Gastro-Duodenal Sleeves, Smart Innovation Grant.
6. PI, Ballistic and blast modelling of human head with combat helmet.
7. Co-PI, Design-Simulate-Fabricate micro-/nan-fluidics for cell and biomolecule manipulation.
8. Co-PI, Alternative access system with micro-to-nano scale structure: design, characterization and control -Exploration of Multi-stage Multi-scale Servo Mechanisms (MMSM).
9. Co-PI, CT Analysis of buttresses in the traumatised nose – A basis for decision making for early rhinoplasty and biomechanical study of nasal structural support.
10. Co-PI, A Multistage-Multiscale-Multidisciplinary (M3) Approach based on Integrated Acoustic Streaming, Dielectrophoresis and Microbiological Studies for Rapid Detection of Microbial Contamination in Water.
11. Co-PI, Multi-layer functional composites for personal protection against improvised explosive devices (IDE).
12. PI, Objective Assessment of the Effects of long-duration wearing of N95 and surgical facemasks on upper airway functions.
BA (1982), MA (1986) University of Cambridge
MEng (1987), National University of Singapore
MS (1987), PhD (1991) Stanford University
ME3112 Mechanics of Machine
ME4213 VibrationTheory and Applications
Sound and Vibration, Numerical modeling and simulations, Mechanics in Medicine, Biofouling
1. LEE, S J, G SAURABH* and H P Lee, "Computer-aided analysis of the beautiful umbilicus". Aesthetic Surgery Journal, 34, no. 5 (2014): 748-756.
2. ZHU, J, H P Lee, S J LEE and D Y Wang, "Evaluation of Nasal Functions While Wearing N95 Respirator and Surgical Facemask". Journal of Biosciences and Medicines, 2 (2014): 1-5.
3. ZHU, J, K M Lim, B.R. Gordon, D Y Wang and H P Lee, "Effects of anterior ethmoidectomy, with and without antrotomy and uncinectomy, on nasal and maxillary sinus airflows: a CFD study". Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, 34, no. 2 (2014): 144-149.
4. TSE, K M, L B TAN, S J LEE, S P Lim and H P Lee*, "Development and validation of two subject-specific finite element models of human head against three cadaveric experiments". International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 30, no. 3 (2014): 397-415.
5. TSE, K M, L B TAN, S J LEE, S P Lim and H P Lee, "Development and validation of two subject-specific finite element models of human head against three cadaveric experiments". International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 30, no. 2 (2014): 397-415.
6. ZHU, J, K M Lim, K T M THONG, D Y Wang and H P Lee, "Assessment of airflow ventilation in human nasal cavity and maxillary sinus before and after targeted sinonasal surgery: a numerical case study". Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology, 194 (2014): 29-36.
7. GUO, S, C T Lim, B C Khoo, S L-M TEO, S ZHONG and H P Lee, "Effect of ultrasound on cyprid footprint and juvenile barnacle adhesion on a fouling release". Colloids and Surfaces B-Biointerfaces, 115 (2014): 118-124.
8. HENG, C T, siang lin Yeoh and H P Lee*, "A Noninvasive, Patient-specific Method for Estimating Detrusor Bladder Pressure". Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering: Imaging & Visualization, 2, no. 1 (2014): 4-11.
9. TSE, K M, L B TAN, S P Lim and H P Lee, "Conventional and complex modal analyses of a finite element model of human head and neck". Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 18, no. 9 (2013): 961-973.
10. GUO, S, B C Khoo, S L-M TEO and H P Lee, "The effect of cavitation bubbles on the removal of juvenile barnacles". Colloids and Surfaces B-Biointerfaces, 109 (2013): 219-227.
11. LIONG, Y K J, L AMITABHA, D A K Chia, S J LEE, A Y T Lim, A Biswas and H P Lee, "Functional Compartmental Space: The Missing Link in the Pathogenesis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome". Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering: Imaging & Visualization, 1, no. 3 (2013): 155-163.
12. Zhang, J., B C Khoo, C. P. Teo, N. Haja, T.K. Tham, L. Zhong and H P Lee, "On passive and active methods for enhancing water quality of a service reservoir". Journal of Hydraulic Engineering-ASCE, 139 (2013): 745-753.
13. LIONG, Y K J, L AMITABHA, S J LEE, D A K Chia, A Biswas and H P Lee, "Mid-motion deformation of median nerve during finger flexion: a new insight into the dynamic etiology of carpal tunnel syndrome". Hand Surgery, 18, no. 2 (2013): 193-202.
14. HOU, X, S P Lim, H P Lee and C J Ong, "Development and Numerical Characterization of a New Standing Wave Ultrasonic Motor Operating in the 30-40 KHz Frequency Range". Ultrasonics, 53, no. 5 (2013): 928-934.
15. SHEN, S, C J Ong, H P Lee and S P Lim, "Contact mechanics of traveling wave ultrasonic motors". IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 49, no. 6 (2013): 2634-2637.
16. HOU, X, H P Lee, S P Lim and C J Ong, "Numerical Study on the Performance Enhancement of Ultrasonic Motors Using Single Crystalline Piezo-materials". IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 49, no. 6 (2013): 2447-2450.
17. LIONG, Y K J, S J LEE and H P Lee, "Preliminary Deformational Studies on A Finite Element Model of the Nasal Septum Reveals Key Areas for Septal Realignment and Reconstruction". Journal of Medical Engineering, 2013 (2013): 250274.
18. TSE, K M, R Chang, H P Lee, S P Lim, S.K. Venkatesh and P HO, "A computational fluid dynamics study on geometrical influence of the aorta on haemodynamics". European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, 43, no. 4 (2013): 829-838.
19. TRAN, T Q N, H P Lee and S P Lim, "Modelling porous structures by penalty approach in the extended finite element method". Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 16, no. 4 (2013): 347-357.
20. ZHANG, J, B C Khoo, H P Lee, C.P. Teo, N. Haja and K.Q. Peng, "Numerical Simulation and Assessment of the Effects of Operation and Baffling on a Potable Water Service Reservoir". Journal of Environmental Engineering-ASCE, 139, no. 3 (2013): 341-348.
21. Lee, H P, Revanth Reddy Garlapati,, F H V CHONG and D Y Wang, "Comparison Between Effects of Various Partial Inferior Turbinectomy options on Nasal Airflow – a Computer Simulation Study". Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 16, no. 1 (2013): 112-118.
22. TAN, L B, K M TSE, H P Lee, V B C Tan and S P Lim, "Performance of an advanced combat helmet with different interior cushioning systems in ballistic impact: Experiments and finite element simulations". International Journal of Impact Engineering, 50, no. 0 (2012): 99–112.
23. DUMOND, J J, K Ansari, SY Yew, C Tan, J Y H Fuh, H P Lee and HY Low, "High resolution UV roll-to-roll nanoimprinting of resin moulds and subsequent replication via thermal nanoimprint lithography". Nanotechnology, 23, no. 48 (2012): 485310.
24. Wang, D Y, H P Lee and B.R. Gordon, "Impacts of fluid dynamics simulation in study of nasal airflow physiology and pathophysiology in realistic human three dimensional nose models". Clinical and Experimental Otorhinolaryngology, 5, no. 4 (2012): 181-187.
25. SEOW, Y C, S P Lim and H P Lee, "Optofluidic variable-focus lenses for light manipulation". Lab on a Chip, 12, no. 19 (2012): 3810-3815.
26. TAN, L B, K M TSE, H P Lee, V B C Tan and S P Lim, "Performance of an Advanced Combat Helmet with Different Interior Cushioning Systems in". International Journal of Impact Engineering, 50 (2012): 99-112.
27. HOU, X, H P Lee, C J Ong and S P Lim, "Design and Finite Element Analysis of a New Stack Ultrasonic Motor Based on in-plane Mode". Smart Materials & Structures, 21, no. 11 (2012): 115002.
28. MUHAMMAD, F B H, H P Lee and S P Lim, "Effects of Shear and Surface Roughness on Reducing the Attachment of Oscillatoria sp. on Substrates". Water Environment Research, 84, no. 9 (2012): 744-752.
29. PAHALA, G J, Z. Tan, D.V. Le, H P Lee and B C Khoo, "Three-dimensional numerical simulation of human pulmonary cilia in the periciliary liquid layer by the immersed boundary method". Computers & Fluids, 67 (2012): 130-137.
30. ZHU, J, H P Lee, K M Lim, B.R. Gordon and D Y Wang, "Effect of Accessory Ostia on Maxillary Sinus Ventilation: a Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Study". Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology, 183, no. 2 (2012): 91-99.
31. TSE, K M, R CHANG, H P Lee, S P Lim, S K Venkatesh and P HO, "A computational fluid dynamics study on geometrical influence of the aorta on haemodynamics". European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, (2012). PMID 22766960).
32. ZHU, J, H P Lee, K M Lim, S J LEE, L S L TEO and D Y Wang, "Passive movement of human soft palate during respiration: a simulation of 3D fluid/structure interaction.". Journal of Biomechanics, 45, no. 11 (2012): 1992-2000.
33. LEE, S J, H P Lee, K M TSE, Ee Cherk Cheong and S P Lim, "Computer-aided design and rapid prototyping-assisted contouring of costal cartilage graft for facial reconstructive surgery". Craniomaxillofacial Trauma & Reconstruction, 5, no. 2 (2012): 75-82.
34. CHEN, X, H P Lee, F H V CHONG and D Y Wang*, "Drug Delivery in a Nasal Cavity with Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery : A Computational Fluid Dynamics Study". Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 126, no. 5 (2012): 1-8, 487-94. (United Kingdom). 34.
35. LEE, S J, H P Lee, K M TSE, EC Cheong and S P Lim, "Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Rapid Prototyping (RP) Assisted Contouring of Costal Cartilage Graft for Facial Reconstructive Surgery". Craniomaxillofacial Trauma & Reconstruction, 5, no. 2 (2012): 75-82.