Dr LEE Heow Pueh
National University of Singapore
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Heow Pueh LEE is currently the Deputy Head (Research) for the Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore. He graduated with first class honours from Cambridge University. He did his full time National Service at the Traffic Police Department and was awarded the Commissioner of Police High Commendation for his contribution. He obtained his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University. He was seconded to the Institute of High Performance Computing (IHPC) under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) in 2002, initially as the Deputy Director for Research and subsequently assumed the role of Deputy Executive Director for research since 2003 till the end of his full-time secondment in 2007. His early works focused on the mechanics of robotic manipulators, mechanism designs, as well as the vibration of structural elements and the mechanics of ultrasonic motors. Notable contributions include the application of “Structural Intensity” for the vibration study to various aspects of engineering disciplines from fracture mechanics to biomechanics. His more recent works focus on acoustics and vibration, mechanics in medicine, mechanics of biofouling and acoustics. He has more than 300 publications in peer review journals. He has several ongoing projects related to noise and vibration in particular the mitigation of traffic and construction noise.
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/I-7834-2014
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com.sg/citations?user=VQzRNv4AAAAJ&hl=en
BA (1982), MA (1986) University of Cambridge
MEng (1987), National University of Singapore
MS (1987), PhD (1991) Stanford University
ME3112 Mechanics of Machine
ME4213 VibrationTheory and Applications
Acoustics and Vibration, Computational Methods, Mechanics in Medicine, Biofouling
• Method and Apparatus for Anchoring a Duodenal Sleeve, United States 61/234,832, 18/08/2009.
• System, Device and Process for Modifying Absorption of Matter by a Gastrointestinal Wall, United States 61/303,333, 11/02/2010.
• System, Device and Process for Modifying Absorption of Matter by a Gastrointestinal Wall, PCT, PCT/SG2011/000060, 10/02/2011.
• A Moving Belt System with Switchable Hydrophilic / Hydrophobic Surface for Continuous Removal of Microalgae from Water, United States 61/565,497, 30/11/2011.
• Anchoring and Delivery System for a Gastro-duodenal Implant, United States 61/521,773, 10/08/2011.
• Anchoring and Delivery System for a Gastro-duodenal Implant, PCT PCT/SG2012/000285, 10/08/2012.
• Sonic windows, US Provisional Patent Application No. 62/284,941 filed on 14 October 2015.
• Noise Barriers with Inclined Top Section And Jagged Edge Singapore 10201602966Q 14/04/2016.
• Continuous Ion Removal System Singapore 10201609036Y filed on 28/10/2016 (Pending)
Highlights of Professional activities
• Invited speaker for ISFAM 2014, December 4-7, 2014, Singapore. The title of the talk is “Research at the interface of mechanics and medicine – otolaryngology and head injury studies”.
• Keynote speaker for Thematic Plenary lecture at ICCM 2014. 28th-30th July 2014, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, England. The title of the talk is “Computational Otolaryngology – Modeling and Simulations of Nasal Airflows”.
• Invited speaker for Cardio-Bioengineering Workshop 2014, National Heart Centre, Academia Singapore General Hospital, 20 November 2014. The title of the talk is “Wall shear stress in thoracic aorta aneurysm”.
• Invited speaker for Cardio-Bioengineering Workshop 2015, National Heart Centre, Academia Singapore General Hospital, 20 November 2015. The title of the talk is “Variation of the Thoracic Aortic Anatomy in the Asian Elderly Population”.
• Invited speaker for the Association of Sports Medicine Annual Symposium at TTSH in February 2015. The title of the talk is “Bigger the player, harder the hit, the G forces behind the concussion.”
• Invited speaker for MOH Lunch Time presentation, 29 July 2015 at Ministry of Health, Singapore General Hospital. The title of the talk is “Research Findings on Prolonged Use of Facemasks”.
• Invited speaker for Euronoise 2015 at Maastrich, Netherland. The title of the talk is “The Sonic Window Project - Meeting the Trio Challenges of Providing Natural Ventilation, Daylight and Noise Mitigation “
• Invited as a Chair of excellence for six months, 2015, Departamento de Ingeniería Mecánica Universidad Carlos III of Madrid.
• Keynote speaker for ICVE 2015, September 18-20, Shanghai, China, organized by Shanghai Jiaotong University. Title of the talk is “Design of Sonic Crystal Windows for Mitigation of Traffic Noise”.
• Invited speaker for ISFAM2015, November 7-10, 2015, Xi’an, organized by Xi’an Jiaotong University. The title of the talk is “Mechanics of natural fibre composites”.
• Invited speaker for WESPAC 2015, December 6-9, 2015. The title of the talk is “A Low Cost Smart-phone Platform for Mapping and Monitoring of Environmental Noise”.
• Invited speaker for 2nd International Conference on Ultrasonic based Applications : fraom Analysis to Synthesis. 4th -6th June, 2016, Caparica, Portugal. The title of the talk is ”Investigations of non-linear acoustics for the detection of kissing bonds in composite structures”.
• Keynote speaker for ICCM 2016. 1st-4th August 2016, Berkeley, California, USA. The title of the talk is “Design of sonic crystal window structures for mitigation of traffic noise”.
• Invited speaker for Inter-Noise 2016, August 21-24, Hamburg, Germany. The title of the talk is” Assessment of the performance of sonic crystal noise barriers for the mitigation for construction noise”.
• Invited speaker for International Symposium for Cavitation and Multiphase Flow, ISCM 2016, Jiangsu University, Zhenjiang, China, 22-25 October, 2016.
• Invited speaker for 2016 International Symposium on Frontiers in Applied Mechanics, 1-4th December 2016, Melbourne, Australia. The title of the talk is “Hybrid natural fibre composites for acoustic applications”.
• PI, The Sonic Structure Project - meeting the trio challenges of providing natural ventilation, daylight and noise mitigation NRF L2NIC.
• PI, Dynamic profiling of locomotion of marine creatures - Design of biomimetic underwater robots, MOE Tier 1.
• PI, Technology Development for Suppliers Development Initiative: Natural Fibre. A*STAR SERC Grant.
• PI, Vibroacoustics Analysis in Armoured Vehicle using Scaling Technique and Structural Intensity Approach, ST Kinetics IPP.
• Co-PI, Centre for Composite Engineering and Research, DPRT Strategic Research Funding.
• Co-PI, A high throughput functionalized moving surface for continuous heavy metal ion extraction from waste streams, EWI.
• Co-PI, Mitigating Impact for Fall Protection of Elderly, MOE Tier 1.
• Co-PI, Project GWAIHIR (The Flapping wing MAV project), MINDEF.
• Co-PI, Advanced Computational Tools for Fast Analysis of Sips against Vibration and Noise. SMI.
• Co-PI for thrust 4 on Restorative Repair and Implants (for a total of 4 thrusts), 3D Printing Medtech Hub, NAMIC, EDB & NUS.
• Co-PI, Analysis of buried pipes subjected to shock and impact Loads Completed projects, DSTA.
• PI, Mitigation of Noise from Construction Sites Based on Sonic Cage and Innovative Noise Barrier Designs, LTA Innovation Grant.
• Co-PI, The Nazcaline Project (Exploratory study of potential designs for station keeping of stratospheric balloons), MINDEF.
• PI, Prediction of underwater acoustic behaviours based on ambient acoustic studies Temasek Lab@ NUS Seed Project Research Grant.
• PI, Development of an Anthropometric Database Representing the SAF Population, MOE Tier 1.
• PI, Development of Membrane-less Technology for the Removal of Microalgae from lakes and Ponds, NUSRI (Suzhou Industrial Park).
• Co-PI, Bubbly Ultrasonic Flow: An Adjunct in the Treatment of Gastrointestinal Bleeding, MOE Tier 1.
• PI, Objective assessment of facial deformity for surgical applications (R-265-000-458-112), MOE Tier 1.
• Co-PI, Rapid Detection of Food Borne Pathogens via Microfluidic Platform, SMF.
• Co-PI, R-265-000-463-112: Analysis of Composite Damage and Repair, MOE Tier 1.
• Co-PI, Design and Construction of a Low-noise Wind Tunnel, MOE Tier 1.
• Co-PI, Facial Expression Using Dielectric Elastomer Artificial Muscles, MOE Tier 1.
• Co-PI, Analysis of aortic arch anatomy of elderly patients using computer tomography data reconstruction, NUS Cross Faculty Research Grant.
• PI, Development of an Anthropometric Database Representing the Singapore Population, DSO National Laboratory.
• Co-PI, Project Shimo (Quiescent period for helicopter landing), MINDEF.
• Co-PI, Ducted Fan for Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), MOE Tier 1.
• Co-PI, Modelling of geometrical configuration on human nose and its related physiological functions in health and diseases. NUS Cross Faculty Research Grant.
• Co-PI, Quartz Resonator Sensors for Chemical and Biological Applications, NUS Academic Research Fund.
• Co-PI, Investigation of anatomical and functional factors affecting voiding dysfunction, National Medical Research Council (NMRC) Exploratory/ Development Grant.
• Co-PI, Anatomical analysis of Acute Aortic Dissection in Elderly using Computed Tomography post-processing measurement, Mitsui Sumitomo Research Grant 2010.
• Co-PI, A new endoluminal device for duodenal exclusion in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitis and obesity, NRF POC.
• PI, Assessment of Nasal Patency via multiphysics simulations – from Physics to Medicine, MOE Tier 2.
• PI, Exploratory study of the Impact of climate change on mucociliary functions as the first line of defence against air-borne infectious diseases, MOE Tier 1.
• Co-PI, Assessment and improvement of flow pattern and chlorine concentration in service reservoirs, PUB.
• Co-PI, A Safe and Effective Endoluminal Anchor and Delivery System for Gastro-Duodenal Sleeves, Smart Innovation Grant.
• PI, Ballistic and blast modelling of human head with combat helmet, DSO National Laboratory.
• Co-PI, Design-Simulate-Fabricate micro-/nan-fluidics for cell and biomolecule manipulation, SMA2.
• Co-PI, Alternative access system with micro-to-nano scale structure: design, characterization and control -Exploration of Multi-stage Multi-scale Servo Mechanisms (MMSM), SERC A*STAR.
• Co-PI, CT Analysis of buttresses in the traumatised nose – A basis for decision making for early rhinoplasty and biomechanical study of nasal structural support, AO CranioMaxilloFacial Clinical Priority Program.
• Co-PI, A Multistage-Multiscale-Multidisciplinary (M3) Approach based on Integrated Acoustic Streaming, Dielectrophoresis and Microbiological Studies for Rapid Detection of Microbial Contamination in Water, EWI.
• Co-PI, Multi-layer functional composites for personal protection against improvised explosive devices (IDE), TDSI.
• PI, Objective Assessment of the Effects of long-duration wearing of N95 and surgical facemasks on upper airway functions, MOH Communicable disease grant.
1. Lee, H. M., Lim, K.M. & Lee, H. P. (2017). Experimental and numerical studies of acoustical and ventilation performances of glass louver window. JOURNAL OF VIBROENGINEERING, 19(1), 699-706. doi:10.21595/jve.2016.17246
2. Lee, H. M., Lim, K. M., & Lee, H. P. (2017). Environmental and sound divergence effects on the performance of rectangular sonic crystals with Helmholtz resonators. JOURNAL OF VIBRATION AND CONTROL, 107754631668842. doi:10.1177/1077546316688422
3. Zhong, Y., Tran, L. Q. N., Kureemun, U., & Lee, H. P. (2017). Prediction of the mechanical behavior of flax polypropylene composites based on multi-scale finite element analysis. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE, 1-11. doi:10.1007/s10853-016-0733-7
4. Lee, H. M., Tan, L. B., Lim, K. M., & Lee, H. P. (2017). Acoustical performance of a sonic crystal window. International JOURNAL OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING AND ROBOTICS RESEARCH, 6(1), 6-10. doi:10.18178/ijmerr.6.1.6-10
5. Lee, H. M., Lim, K. M., & Lee, H. P. (2017). A maze structure for sound attenuation. APPLIED ACOUSTICS, 115, 88-92. doi:10.1016/j.apacoust.2016.08.026
6. Xu, X., Jiang, Y., & Lee, H.P. (2016). Multi-objective optimal design of sandwich panels using a genetic algorithm. ENGINEERING OPTIMIZATION, 1-20. doi:10.1080/0305215X.2016.1265304
7. Lee, H. M., Tan, L. B., Lim, K. M. , & Lee, H. P. (2016). Experimental study of the acoustical performance of a sonic crystal window in a reverberant sound ﬁeld. BUILDING ACOUSTICS. doi:10.1177/1351010X16681015
8. Yang, B., Tang, Y., Yang, H., Xiao, F., Yuan, Y., Mei, Y., . . . Lee, H. P. (2016). Performance improvement of occupant restraint system based on surrogate model. BEIJING JIAOTONG DAXUE XUEBAO/JOURNAL OF BEIJING JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY, 40(6), 76-82. doi:10.11860/j.issn.1673-0291.2016.06.013
9. Yang, B., Cao, L. B., Tang, Y., Sun, N., Tse, K. -M., & Lee, H.P. (2016). Modal and dynamic responses of the human head-neck complex for impact applications. JOURNAL OF VIBROENGINEERING, 18(7), 4743-4755. doi:10.21595/jve.2016.17457
10. Lee, H. P., Ng, B. M. P., Rammohan, A. V., & Tran, L. Q. N. (2016). An Investigation of the Sound Absorption Properties of Flax/Epoxy Composites Compared with Glass/Epoxy Composites. Journal of Natural Fibers, 1-7. doi:10.1080/15440478.2016.1146643
11. Singh, A. K., Chen, B. Y., Tan, V. B. C., Tay, T. E., & Lee, H. P. (2017). Finite element modeling of nonlinear acoustics/ultrasonics for the detection of closed delaminations in composites. ULTRASONICS, 74, 89-98. doi:10.1016/j.ultras.2016.09.019
12. Huang, K., Rammohan, A. V., Kureemun, U., Teo, W. S., Le, Q. N. T., & Lee, H. P. (2016). Shock wave impact behavior of flax fiber reinforced polymer composites. COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING, 102, 78-85. doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2016.07.014
13. Chen, B. -Y., Soh, S. -K., Lee, H. -P., Tay, T. -E., & Tan, V. B. C. (2016). A vibro-acoustic modulation method for the detection of delamination and kissing bond in composites. JOURNAL OF COMPOSITE MATERIALS, 50(22), 3089-3104. doi:10.1177/0021998315615652
14. Van Truong, T., Debiasi, M., Kureemun, U., & Lee, H. P. (2016). Structural optimization of a flapping wing micro air vehicle. In Proceedings of 2016 7th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MECHANICAL AND AEROSPACE ENGINEERING, ICMAE 2016 (pp. 476-479). doi:10.1109/ICMAE.2016.7549587
15. Lee, H. P., Tan, L. B., & Lim, K. M. (2016). Assessment of the performance of sonic crystal noise barriers for the mitigation of construction noise. In Proceedings of the Inter-Noise 2016 - 45th INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS AND EXPOSITION ON NOISE CONTROL ENGINEERING: Towards a Quieter Future (pp. 4220-4226).
16. Tse, K. M., Tan, L. B., Yang, B., Tan, V. B. C., & Lee, H. P. (2016). Effect of helmet liner systems and impact directions on severity of head injuries sustained in ballistic impacts: a finite element (FE) study. MEDICAL AND BIOLOGICAL ENGINEERING AND COMPUTING, 1-22. doi:10.1007/s11517-016-1536-3
17. Ang, L. Y. L., Koh, Y. K., & Lee, H. P. (2016). Acoustic metamaterials: A potential for cabin noise control in automobiles and armored vehicles. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF APPLIED MECHANICS, 8(5). doi:10.1142/S1758825116500721
18. Dumond, J. J., Low, H. Y., Lee, H. P., & Fuh, J. Y. H. (2016). Multi-functional silicone stamps for reactive release agent transfer in UV roll-to-roll nanoimprinting. MATERIALS HORIZONS, 3(2), 152-160. doi:10.1039/c5mh00290g
19. Yang, B., Fan, L., Hu, M., Tang, Y., Xiao, F., Wang, J., . . . Lee, H. P. (2016). A study on the finite element model for head injury in vehicle collision accident. QICHE GONGCHENG/AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING, 38(2).
20. Yang, B., Cao, L., Li, P., Hu, M., Xiao, F., Yuan, Y., . . . Lee, H. (2016). Biomechanical study of the facial impact on pedestrian traumatic brain injury (TBI). CHINESE JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, 35(1), 63-70. doi:10.3969/j.issn.0258-8021.2016.01.008