Dr ZENG Kaiyang
National University of Singapore
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
9 Engineering Drive 1
Dr Zeng obtained his Ph.D in Materials Science from Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden. he was Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist at Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE), Singapore, during 1998 - 2004. He joined Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, in August 2004. His main research activities include applying the advanced Scanning Probe Microscopy techniques to (i) Study of biopiezoelectricity and bioferroelectricity; (ii) In-situ characterization of energy storage materials; (iii) Study of multiferroics and ferroelectric materials; (iv) Study of functional properties of transitional metal oxides
B.Eng., Hunan Univ., P.R.China (1982)
Ph.D., Royal INstitute of Technology (KTH), Sweden (1992)
ME4255: Materials Failure.
ME5513: Fracture and Fatigue of Materials
Biomimetic studies of natural materials (bone, seashells etc);
Coupled mechanical/electrical/chemical properties of advanced advanced Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM) techniques;
Functional properties of transitional metal oxides.
For more detail, please visit my group website at http://www.nusresearchers.com/
More than 150 publications in the peer-reviewed international journals, books and conferences, with more than 3000 total citations (ISI Web of Science), and h-index of 31. Here are some selected publications:
International Journal Publications:
1) T.Li, B.H.Song, L.Lu, K.Y.Zeng, Voltage induced electrochemical reactions in the single lithium-rich layer-oxide nanoparticles, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17, 10257-10264, 2015.
2) J.X.Xiao, W.L.Ong, Z.M.Guo, G.W.Ho, K.Y.Zeng, Resistive switching and polarization reversal of hydrothermal method-grown undoped zinc oxide nanorods by using scanning probe microscopy techniques, ACS Applied Materials & Interafces, 7, 11412-11422, 2015.
3) S.Yang, B.G.Yan, T.Li, J.Zhu, L.Lu, K.Y.Zeng, In situ studies of lithium-ion diffusion in a lithium-rich thin film cathode by scanning probe microscopy techniques, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2015.
4) T.Li, K.Y.Zeng, Nanoscale elasticity mappings of micro-constituents of abalone shell by band excitation-contact resonance force microscopy, Nanoscale, 6, 2177-2185, 2014.
5) T.Li, L.Chen, K.Y.Zeng, In situ studies of nanoscle electromechanical behavior of nacre under flexural stresses using band excitation PFM, Acta Biomaterialia, 9, 5903-5912, 2013.
6) J.Zhu, L. Lu, K.Y.Zeng, Nanoscale mapping of Lithium-ion diffusion in a cathode within an all-solid-state Lithium-ion battery by advanced scanning probe microscopy techniques, ACS Nano, 7 (2), 1666-1675, 2013.
7) J.Zhu, J.K.Feng, L.Lu, K.Y.Zeng, In situ study of topography, phase and volume changes of titanium dioxide anode in all-oxide-state thin film lithium-ion battery by biased scanning probe microscopy, Journal of Power Sources, 197, 224-230, 2012.
8) T.S.Herng, A.Kumar, C.S.Ong, Y.P.Feng, Y.H.Lu, K.Y.Zeng, J.Ding, Investigation of the non-volatile resistance change in noncentrosymmetric compounds, Scientific Reports, 2: 587, 2012.
9) A.Kumar, T.S.Herng, K.Y.Zeng, J.Ding, Bipolar charge storage characteristics in copper and cobalt co-doped zinc oxide (ZnO) thin film, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 4, 5276-5280, 2012.
10) T.S.Herng, M.F.Wong, D.Qi, J.Yi, A.Kumar, A.Huang, F.C.Kartawidjaja, S.Smadici, P.Abbamonte, C.S-Hanke, S.Shannigrahi, J.M.Xue, J.Wang, Y.P.Feng, A.Rusydi, K.Y.Zeng, and J.Ding, Mutual Ferromagnetic-Ferroelectric Coupling in Multiferroic Copper-doped ZnO, Advanced Materials, 23, 1635-1640, 2011.
11) M.F.Wong, T.S.Herng, Z.Zhang, K.Y.Zeng, and J.Ding, Stable Bipolar Surface Potential Behavior of Copper-Doped Zinc Oxide Films studied by Kelvin probe Force Microscopy, Applied Physics Letters, 97, 232103, 2010.
1) K.Zeng, Nanoindentation: Recent Development and Applications, Chapter 7, Handbook of Theoretical and Computational Nanotechnology, Volume 4 (10-volume set), Eds.M.Rieth and W.Schommers, American Scientific Publisgers, 2006, page 387-461.
2) K.Zeng, Nanoindentation of Thin Films and its Application, Chapter 9, Handbook of Nanoceramics and their Nased Nanodevices, Volume 3 (5-volume set), Eds. T.Y.Tseng and H.S.Nalwa, American Scientific Publications, 2009, page 175-205.
3) K.Zeng, Nanoindentation and Indentation Creep of Polymeric Materials, Chapter 5, Polymer Tribology, Eds. S.K.Sinha and B.J.Briscoe, Imperial College Press, 2009, 141-194.
4) K.Zeng, K.B.Yeap, A.Kumar, L.Chen and H.Jiang, Fracture Toughness and Interfacial Adhesion Strength of Thin Films: indentationand Scratch Experiments and Analysis, Chpater 3, Handbook of Nanostructured Thin Films and Coatings (3-volume set) Eds. S.Zhang, CRC Press, 2010, 67-98.
5) J.Zhu, K.Y.Zeng, Chapter 2, Studying the localized electrochemical phenomena in rechargeable Li-ion batteries by scanning probe microscopy techniques, ACS Symposium Series Vol.1140, American Chemical Society, 2013, page 23 - 53.