Dr YANG Wenming
EA-05-05, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576
After obtaining his Ph.D degree in 2000, he has been employed as a research fellow in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, followed by a teaching instructor and assistant professor in 2006 and 2011, respectively. Since 2017, He has been employed as an associate professor in National University of Singapore. His research interests include: Internal combustion engine fueled by biofuels and blend fuels, development of advanced platform for boilers with high efficiency and low emissions, incinerators and micro power generators etc. He is now looking for Ph.D. candidates with interests in IC engines, waste to energy (WTE) incineration power plant, biomass boilers and CFB boilers.
He is now teaching three modules: Energy Conversion Process (ME3221) and Internal Combustion Engine (ME4227). Air-Conditioning and Building Automation (ME5204)
Internal combustion engines fueled by biofuels/emulsion fuel/natural gas
Combustion and emissions control of grate boilers, pulverized coal boilers, Waste to energy incineration power plant
Micro thermophotovoltaic power generators
Selected publications (so far, he has authored/co-authored more than 200 papers):
1) Li J, Yang WM*, An H, Zhao D, Effects of fuel ratio and injection timing on gasoline/biodiesel fueled RCCI engine: A modeling study, Applied Energy 155, (2015) 59-67.
2) Zhou DZ, Yang WM*, An H, Li J, Application of CFD-chemical kinetics approach in detecting RCCI engine knocking fuelled with biodiesel/methanol, Applied Energy 145, (2015) 255-264.
3) An H, Yang WM*, Li J, Zhou DZ, Modeling study of oxygenated fuels on diesel combustion: Effects of oxygen concentration, cetane number and C/H ratio, Energy Conversion and Management 90, (2015) 261-271.
4) Balaji M, Yang WM*, Tay KL, Yu WB, Experimental study of spray characteristics of biodiesel derived from waste cooking oil, Energy Conversion and Management 88, (2015) 622-632.
5) Li J, Yang WM*, An H, Maghbouli A and Chou SK, "Effects of piston bowl geometry on combustion and emission characteristics of biodiesel fueled diesel engine". FUEL 120, (2014): 66-73.
6) An H, Yang WM*, Maghbouli A, Li J, Chou SK and Chua KJ, "Numerical investigation on the combustion and emission characteristics of a hydrogen assisted biodiesel combustion in a diesel engine". FUEL 120, (2014): 186-194.
7) Mohan B, Yang WM* and Chou SK, "Development of an accurate cavitation coupled spray model for diesel engine simulation". ENERGY CONVERSION AND MANAGEMENT 77, (2014): 269-277.
8) An H, Yang WM*, Li J, Maghbouli A, Chua KJ, “A skeletal mechanism for biodiesel blend surrogates combustion”, ENERGY CONVERSION AND MANAGEMNET, (2014).
9) Maghbouli A, Yang WM*, An H, Chou SK, Chua KJ and Li J, "An advanced combustion model coupled with detailed chemical reaction mechanism for DI diesel engine simulation". APPLIED ENERGY 111, (2013): 758-770.
10) Yang WM *, An H, Chou SK, Vedharaji S, Vallinagam R, Balaji M, Mohammad FEA, Chua KJ, Emulsion fuel with novel nano-organic additives for diesel engine application, FUEL 104, (2013): 726-731.
11) An H, Yang WM *, Maghbouli A, Chou SK, Chua KJ, Detailed physical properties prediction of pure methyl esters for biodiesel combustion modeling, APPLIED ENERGY 102, (2013) 647-656.
12) Pan, JF*, Yang WM, Zhao JG, Chou SK, Spray and combustion visualization of biodiesel in a direct injection diesel engine, THERMAL SCIENCE 17, (2013) 279-289.
13) Maghbouli A*, Sina S, Yang WM, Rahim KS, Vahid H, An H, A multi-Dimensional CFD-chemical Kinetics approach in detection and reduction of knocking combustion in diesel natural gas dual fuel engines using local heat release analysis, SAE International, 2013-01-0865.
14) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Chua KJ, An H, Karthikeyan K, Zhao X, An advanced micro modular combustor-radiator with heat recuperation for micro-TPV system application, Applied Energy, (2012) 749-753.
15) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Chua KJ, Li J, Zhao X, Research on micro modular combustor-radiator with and without porous media, Chemical Engineering Journal, (2011) 799-802.
16) Yang WM*, Chou, SK, Chua, Pan JF, Li J, Zhao X, Comparison of cylindrical and modular micro combustor-radiator for micro-TPV system application, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 20, (2010) 085003-1-8.
17) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Li J, Micro-thermophotovoltaic power generator with high power density, Applied Thermal Engineering 29, (2009) 3144-3148.
18) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Shu C, Effect of current-collector structure on performance of passive micro direct methanol fuel cell, Journal of power sources 164, (2007) 549-554.
19) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Shu C, Li ZW, Experimental study of micro thermophotovoltaic systems with different combustor configurations, Energy Conversion and Management 48, (2007) 1238-1244.
20) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Shu C, Li ZW, Xue H, Effect of wall thickness on the performance of micro thermophotovoltaic power generators, Sensors and actuators 119, (2005) 441-445.
21) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Shu C, Xue H, and Li ZW, Performance of micro-thermophotovoltaic power generators with different emitting materials, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 15, (2005) S239-242.
22) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Shu C, Li ZW, Xue H, Study of catalytic combustion and its effect on the performance of micro-thermophotovoltaic power generators, Journal of physics D: Applied physics 38, (2005) 4252-4255.
23) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Shu C, Li ZW, Xue H, A prototype microthermophotovoltaic power generator, Applied Physics Letters 84, (2004) 3864-3866.
24) Yang WM*, Chou SK, Shu C, Li ZW, Xue H, Research on micro thermophotovoltaic power generators, Solar Energy Materials and solar cells 80, (2003) 95-104.