Dr ZHU Jian
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
National University of Singapore
9 Engineering Drive 1
Dr. Jian Zhu is an assistant professor at the department of Mechanical Engineering, NUS. His current research interests lie in Soft Robots, Soft Active Materials, and Smart Materials and Structures. Before moving to Singapore, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University, USA. He received a Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering at University of Alberta, Canada in 2008, and was then awarded a NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada in 2008. He worked on climbing robots at City University of Hong Kong in 2002, which can take the place of human beings to clean the windows of the high-rise buildings.
Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering 2008 ( University of Alberta, Canada)
ME 4213 Vibration theory and application (2016/2017)
Soft active materials;
Smart materials and structures.
*: corresponding author
36. Gu, G.Y. (#), Gupta, U. (#), Zhu, J., Zhu, L.M., and Zhu, X.Y., Modeling of viscoelastic electromechanical behavior in a soft dielectric elastomer actuator, accepted by IEEE Transactions on Robotics. #: equal contribution.
35. Godaba, H., Zhang, Z.Q., Gupta, U., Foo, C.C., Zhu, J. (*), Dynamic pattern of wrinkles in a dielectric elastomer, Soft Matter 13, 2942--2951, 2017.
34. Gu, G.Y., Zhu, J., Zhu, L.M., and Zhu, X.Y., A survey on dielectric elastomer actuators for soft robots, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 12, 011003, 2017.
33. Chen, F.F., Wang, Y. M., Zhu, J., Zhang, Y.F, Interactions Between Dielectric Elastomer Actuators and Soft Bodies, Soft Robotics 3, 161-169, 2016
32. Wang, Y.Z., Zhu, J. (*), Artificial muscles for jaw movements, Extreme Mechanics Letters 6, 88-95, 2016. This paper was featured by Materials today 19, 188, 2016,
31. Godaba, H., Li, J.S., Wang, Y.Z., Zhu, J. (*), A soft jellyfish robot driven by a dielectric elastomer actuator, IEEE Robotics and Automation letters 1, 624-631, 2016. This paper was also accepted and presented in 2016 IEEE International Conference of Robotics and Automation, Sweden.
30. Zhang, H.Y., Wang, M., Li, J.S., Zhu, J., A soft compressive sensor using dielectric elastomers, Smart Materials and Structures 25, 035045, 2016.
29. Gu, G.Y., Gupta, U., Zhu, J. (*), Zhu, L.M., and Zhu, X.Y., Feedforward deformation control of a dielectric elastomer actuator based on a nonlinear dynamic model, Applied Physics Letters 107, 042907, 2015.
28. Kollosche, M., Kofod G., Suo, Z.G., and Zhu, J.(*), Temporal evolution and instability in a viscoelastic dielectric elastomer, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 76, 47–64, 2015.
27. Chen, F., Zhu, J., Wang, M., Dynamic electromechanical instability of a dielectric elastomer balloon, Europhysics Letters 112, 47003, 2015.
26. Lu, Z.B., Godaba, H., Cui, Y.D., Foo, C.C., Debiasi, M., and Zhu, J., An electronically tunable duct silencer using dielectric elastomer actuators, Journal of Acoustical Society of America 138, EL236, 2015.
25. Gupta, U., Godaba, H., Zhao, Z.J., Chui, C.K., Zhu, J. (*), Tunable force/displacement of a vibration shaker driven by a dielectric elastomer Actuator, Extreme Mechanics Letters 2, 72–77, 2015.
24. Zhu, J.(*), Instability in nonlinear oscillation of dielectric elastomers, Journal of Applied mechanics - ASME transaction 82, 061001,2015.
23. Godaba, H., Foo, C.C., Zhang, Z.Q., Khoo, B.C., and Zhu, J.(*), Giant voltage-induced
deformation of a dielectric elastomer under a constant pressure. Applied Physics Letters 105, 112901, 2014.
22. Lu, T., Foo, C., Huang, J., Zhu, J., Suo, Z., Highly deformable actuators made of dielectric elastomers clamped by rigid rings. Journal of Applied Physics 115, 184106 (2014).
Before joining in National University of Singapore
21. Zhu, J., Kollosche, M., Lu, T., Kofod, G., and Suo, Z., Two types of transition to wrinkles in dielectric elastomers. Soft Matter 8, pp. 8840-8846, 2012.
20. Huang, J., Lu, T., Zhu, J., Clarke, D.R., Suo, Z., Large, unidirectional actuation in dielectric elastomers achieved by fiber stiffening. Applied Physics Letters 100, 211901, 2012.
19. Kollosche, M., Zhu, J., Suo, Z., and Kofod G., Complex interplay of nonlinear processes in dielectric elastomers, Physical Review E 85, 051801, 2012.
18. Huang, J., Li, T., Foo., C.C., Zhu, J., Clarke, D.R., Suo, Z., Giant, voltage-actuated deformation of a dielectric elastomer under dead load, Applied Physics Letters 100, 041911, 2012.
17. Zhu, J., Li, T., Cai, S., and Suo, Z., Snap-through expansion of a gas bubble in a elastomer. Journal of Adhesion, Vol. 87, pp. 466-481, 2011. Invited paper.
16. Koh S.J.A., Li, T., Zhou J, Zhao X., Hong W., Zhu J., and Suo Z., Mechanisms of large actuation strain in dielectric elastomers. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol 49, pp. 504-515, 2011.
15. Zhu, J., Stoyanov, H., Kofod, G., and Suo, Z., Large deformation and electromechanical instability of a dielectric elastomer tube actuator. Journal of Applied Physics, Vol 108, 074113, 2010.
14. Zhu, J., Cai, S., and Suo, Z., Resonant behavior of a membrane of a dielectric elastomer. International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol 47, pp. 3254-3262, 2010.
13. Zhu, J., Cai, S., and Suo, Z., Nonlinear oscillation a dielectric elastomer balloon, Polymer International, Vol. 59, pp. 378-383, 2010. Invited paper.
12. Suo, Z. and Zhu, J. Dielectric elastomer of interpenetrating networks, Applied Physics Letters 95, 232909, 2009.
11. Zhu, J., Ru, C.Q., and Mioduchowski, A., High-order subharmonic parametric resonance of nonlinearly coupled micromechanical oscillators, European Physical Journal B, Vol. 58, pp. 411-421, 2008.
10. Zhu, J., Pull-in instability of two opposing microcantilever arrays with different bending rigidities, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 50, pp. 55-68, 2008.
9. Zhu, J., Ru, C.Q., and Mioduchowski, A., Instability of a large coupled microbeam
array initialized at its two ends, Journal of Adhesion, Vol. 83, pp. 195-221, 2007.
8. Zhu, J., Ru, C.Q., and Mioduchowski, A., Structural instability of a parallel array of mutually attracting identical microbeams, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 16, pp. 2220-2229, 2006.
7. Zhu, J., Ru, C.Q., and Mioduchowski, A., Surface-forces-driven instability of comb-drive microcantilevers in MEMS, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 20, pp. 1125-1146, 2006.
6. Zhu, J., Ru, C.Q., and Mioduchowski, A., Surface energy-driven adhesion of two opposing microcantilevers, Acta Mechanica, Vol. 184, pp. 33-45, 2006.
5. Sun, D., Zhu, J., Lai, C., and Tso, S.K., A visual sensing application to a climbing cleaning robot on the glass surface, Mechatronics, Vol. 14, pp. 1089-1104, 2004.
4. Zhu, J., Sun, D., and Tso, S.K., Application of a service climbing robot with motion planning and visual sensing, Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol. 20, pp. 189-199, 2003.
3. Zhu, J., Sun, D., and Tso, S.K., Vision Guidance for a Climbing Cleaning Robot, In “Mechatronics and Machine Vision – Current Practice”, Ed J Billingsley, Science Studies Press Ltd, UK, pp. 23-32, 2002.
2. Zhu, J., Sun, D., and Tso, S.K., Development of a tracked climbing robot, Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, Vol. 35, pp. 427-444, 2002.
1. Zhu, J., Shao, H., and Wang, X.S., Study on restraining the residual vibration of flexible arm by planning acceleration, Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 13, pp. 245-250, 2000 (English edition).